New from Nor Cal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/4/2017, 2:46 am

Hello, Nick here from Northern California.

Entomologist by trade, invert lover by nature.

Here is what I am currently playing with:

(1) Avicularia avicularia (Pink Toe Tarantula) - unknown sex, still very young
(1) Theraphosa stirmi or blondi (Goliath Bird Eater) - Female, not sure of age, maybe ~2 years
(1) Damon diadema or variegatus (Tanzanian Tailless Whip Scorpion) - Female, age unknown
(1) Deroplatys lobata (Malaysian dead leaf mantis) - 2nd - 3rd instar male nymph
(10) Blaberus fusca (cockroach) - nymphs
(>50) Gromphadorhina portentosa (Madagascar Hissers, colony) - Nymphs and adults
(>50) Blaptica dubia (Dubia roaches, colony) - Nymphs and adults
(>500) Drosophila melanogaster (flightless fruit fly) - Colony
(1) Camponotus modoc (Carpenter ant) - Colony - first year queen & 5 nanitic workers, no brood
(1) Camponotus vicinus (Carpenter ant) - Colony - first year queen and 1 nanitic worker, brood

Freshwater inverts & others
(7) Paleomonetes sp
(4) Neritina natalensis snails
(2) Betta splendens (Betta)
(1) Ancistrus cirrhosus (Bristlenose Plecostomus)
(2) Otocinclus Catfish
(3) Danio choprai
(2) Hymenochirus sp - African dwarf frogs

And 1 American pit bull terrier. lol.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo on 1/8/2017, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. 1/4/2017, 8:57 am

We share very similar interests. Welcome to InsectBoards.com I want to see all pictures of all of it. Also you should make a journal on them ants. I have one myself down there in the journals. I love to watch colonies grow. You as well have some other really cool species there.

Again, Hello and welcome. Very Happy
BobBarley
Stranger
Stranger

PostBobBarley 1/4/2017, 11:58 pm

Awesome!  Where in Nor Cal?  I'm located in Ripon, right next to Modesto.

Are you sure you have the real Theraphosa blondi and the real Damon variegatus?  T. blondi is very rare and expensive.  Depending on where you bought it from, it is most likely Theraposa sttirmi.  T. stirmi is much more common.  

Damon variegatus is very, very rarely imported, because their counterpart, Damon diadema looks much more intimidating and has larger pedipalps, so exporters get more business exporting D. diadema.

Post pics, and I'll see if I can help. Very Happy
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/5/2017, 9:35 pm

BobBarley wrote:Awesome!  Where in Nor Cal?  I'm located in Ripon, right next to Modesto.

Are you sure you have the real Theraphosa blondi and the real Damon variegatus?  T. blondi is very rare and expensive.  Depending on where you bought it from, it is most likely Theraposa sttirmi.  T. stirmi is much more common.  

Damon variegatus is very, very rarely imported, because their counterpart, Damon diadema looks much more intimidating and has larger pedipalps, so exporters get more business exporting D. diadema.

Post pics, and I'll see if I can help. Very Happy

You may be right on the Damon sp, so far the only thing I can find to distinguish the two is the two spines on the trochanter for diadema vs apparently 1 on variegatus. I was actually in the process of sorting that out myself (got it for xmas), but if you have any literature on the genus or amblypygi in general I would like to find more info on these. It is my first Amblypygi. And the store listed and shipped it as variegatus so I wasn't entirely sure which it was once I started digging into it more.

I have heard this is a good text on the order:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/breeding-the-worlds-largest-living-arachnid-orin-mcmonigle/1116229588?ean=9781616461836&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP62464

The store I bought the goliath from listed it as Theraphosa sp, however when it arrived, the container it came in said "T. blondi". How expensive are we talking?

I used this page as a reference:

http://thebts.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?8638-Stirmi-or-Blondi

To me anyway it looks far closer to blondi vs the stirmi characteristicwise as described there. So I took their word for it when compared to that. I'll find some pictures.

Oh and I am in Nevada City, hour east of Sacramento.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo on 1/5/2017, 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/5/2017, 9:43 pm

T.C. wrote:We share very similar interests. Welcome to InsectBoards.com I want to see all pictures of all of it. Also you should make a journal on them ants. I have one myself down there in the journals. I love to watch colonies grow. You as well have some other really cool species there.

Again, Hello and welcome. Very Happy

Thanks. I have a journal and formicarium build on another site but I will eventually start some journals for everything on here. Ants are currently hibernating.

fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/5/2017, 10:04 pm

Well I did my best IDing this one, maybe its not either I dunno. Seems to have characteristics that are supposed to be exclusive to either species. It has the long and curved patella hairs but also has the lighter coloration on the first two pairs of legs. What other characteristics can be key identifiers?

Supposed T. blondi.

New from Nor Cal 15338777_1362561837101040_2107166319075415085_n-1

New from Nor Cal Goliath666

Supposed D. variegatus,, this one I think is actually D. diadema. I tried to look at her ventral spines on the trochanters just now but couldn't get a good look. Based on this pic it looks like there are two. Any other morphological differences I can look for? Thanks for the advice, arachnids aren't my strong suit when it comes to sp identification.

New from Nor Cal Cavespider1

New from Nor Cal Cavespider2

New from Nor Cal Cavespider4[/i][/i]
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. 1/6/2017, 9:54 am

I am no good at tarantulas, but your second ID Request there, I would have to agree with Damon diadema as well. I sure would like to get my hands on one here soon.
BobBarley
Stranger
Stranger

PostBobBarley 1/6/2017, 1:07 pm

The Theraphosa is most likely stirmi.  A blondi that big would be somewhere around $300+ ($400 would be fair).  It's too small to tell if it's stirmi or blondi 100%, but I'd say stirmi just because of how rare blondi is.  Once it molts a few times, if it is stirmi, it will lose the long hairs on the patella.

For the Damon sp., I am less sure.  Try posting on Arachnoboards.com , but I  it looks to be a scruffed up female Damon diadema to me.
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 1/6/2017, 1:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. If you have an interest for black widow spiders we generally have plenty all summer long. Free of charge. No returns.
insect rod
Hisserdude
Hisserdude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com

PostHisserdude 1/7/2017, 4:22 pm

Welcome to the forum! Smile
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/8/2017, 12:25 am

BobBarley wrote:The Theraphosa is most likely stirmi.  A blondi that big would be somewhere around $300+ ($400 would be fair).  It's too small to tell if it's stirmi or blondi 100%, but I'd say stirmi just because of how rare blondi is.  Once it molts a few times, if it is stirmi, it will lose the long hairs on the patella.

For the Damon sp., I am less sure.  Try posting on Arachnoboards.com , but I  it looks to be a scruffed up female Damon diadema to me.

I figured I would have to wait a few more molts to be really sure. Either way good to know, doesn't really matter to me. As long as it is a Theraphosa I am fine. I'll just wait and see.

And it probably looks scruffed up because it was covered in substrate from shipping in that photo. Its actually in really good shape. I saw one at a local pet store a few months ago and it was missing like half its limbs.

Thanks for the info!
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/8/2017, 12:26 am

T.C. wrote:I am no good at tarantulas, but your second ID Request there, I would have to agree with Damon diadema as well. I sure would like to get my hands on one here soon.

Thanks! I was kind of at a standstill on these in terms of species so this helped a lot.
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postfortysixandtwo 1/8/2017, 12:27 am

Insect Rod wrote:Welcome to the forum. If you have an interest for black widow spiders we generally have plenty all summer long. Free of charge. No returns.
insect rod

Haha plenty around here. I actually usually have at least one widow somewhere but after my last work desk widow died I haven't gotten one since.
BobBarley
Stranger
Stranger

PostBobBarley 1/8/2017, 11:20 am

fortysixandtwo wrote:
BobBarley wrote:The Theraphosa is most likely stirmi.  A blondi that big would be somewhere around $300+ ($400 would be fair).  It's too small to tell if it's stirmi or blondi 100%, but I'd say stirmi just because of how rare blondi is.  Once it molts a few times, if it is stirmi, it will lose the long hairs on the patella.

I figured I would have to wait a few more molts to be really sure. Either way good to know, doesn't really matter to me. As long as it is a Theraphosa I am fine. I'll just wait and see.

And it probably looks scruffed up because it was covered in substrate from shipping in that photo. Its actually in really good shape. I saw one at a local pet store a few months ago and it was missing like half its limbs.

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, Theraphosa are sweet. I have a juvenile female stirmi at about 3-4", can't wait for her to become a monster.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum