T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. 11/18/2016, 7:53 pm

OFFICIAL GUIDE TO KEEPING EARWIGS
Official Guide to Keeping Earwigs NRLbmve

Name: European Earwig or Pincher Bugs (Dermaptera)

Size: 6-35 mm depending on species

Lifespan: 1-3 years

Hibernation: Unnecessary

Earwigs: Earwigs are actually fun to care for, and reproduce quickly which can be very helpful if you are looking to breed them for pet food. Males and females can be easily identified from each other. They are 100% harmless, and very active. They are equipped with pincher's but doesn't hurt when pinched by them. They also are nocturnal so don't expect much action during the day. But at night when you look in at them, they are eating, and chasing each other around the tanks.

Identity: Earwigs are super easy to identify, they look similar to termites in some ways, only larger, darker in color, and have these pinchers towards the back of their body. Also knowing whether the the earwig is a male or female, is also easy. The males Pincher's  have a curve in them, while females pincher's are straighter
Official Guide to Keeping Earwigs ItDJ9Mu
Female Left & Male right

Food: Earwigs can be limited to fish flakes and they will thrive just fine off of them. However I give mine an occasional wolf spider for example which they kill easily and eat.

Habitat: Earwigs need to be kept in a cool dry place. Anywhere between 50-70 degrees is fine for temperature. For a habitat a aquarium, around 6 inch by 6 inch tank is fine or any container around that size. I recommend only one male earwig per habitat, and no more than two because they fight and about 6 – 8 females with the one or two males is fine. The habitat should have lots of places to hide, and about half of an inch of wet sand at the bottom of the container.

Reproduction: With this habitat setup the males will mate with several of the females. From my experience around anywhere from 1-5 weeks she will lay her eggs in a small hole in the sand just guarding the eggs, which look like a big pile of white pearly balls. When they hatch she continues to watch them until their second molt. When they hatch they look just like their parents only completely white and significantly smaller. When they all turn into adults you either need to expand their habitat so there is more room or take some out and put them into other habitats, so there is no fighting which will result in a lot of deaths. They reproduce very quickly so be ready!

By, T.C.

Last edited by T.C. on 11/30/2016, 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
mothman27
mothman27
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 11/18/2016, 9:44 pm

Very good!
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 11/18/2016, 9:56 pm

Thank you Smile
natureguy
natureguy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postnatureguy 11/21/2016, 1:55 pm

I like it, very detailed. Good Job.
Hisserdude
Hisserdude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
http://Invertebratedude.blogspot.com

PostHisserdude 12/4/2016, 11:26 pm

Nice caresheet, I caught a female with a clutch of eggs a few years back, I found it remarkable how well she cared for her eggs and the resulting young, unfortunately I was never able to get her offspring to breed. Sad
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 12/9/2016, 9:45 am

Thanks, and yeah, I have heard of people complaining about the same thing before. I am not sure whats up with that?
Samkeepsants
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSamkeepsants 1/16/2017, 6:06 pm

My earwigs are spoiled I feed them lettuce and super worms lol
Stugy
Stugy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

PostStugy 1/20/2017, 1:25 pm

I object to the idea of using earwigs as pet food. Yes they are 100% harmless to humans but can be potentially dangerous to pets such as other inverts. Remember, these guys can fight back. I would personally only use these as feeders for armored inverts such as scorpions and maybe to fish.
Stugy
Stugy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

PostStugy 1/20/2017, 1:26 pm

Otherwise very nice caresheet. Smile
Salmon
Salmon

PostSalmon 1/23/2017, 4:10 pm

Wait, so which species are you talking about in this caresheet? The pictures depict two different species, and not all have the same eating habits.
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 1/24/2017, 12:53 pm

This one is referring to European Earwigs specifically. The image was just to show how to tell whether a earwig was male or female by looking at the pinchers.
Salmon
Salmon

PostSalmon 1/24/2017, 5:27 pm

Ah.

Interesting that European earwigs can take down wolf spiders, I didn't know they were that voracious.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum