Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/5/2017, 4:04 pm

I decided to share some pics I just took of my Tenebrio molitar colony. They are now at about 20 larva, around 35 pupae, and the first beetle eclosed about an hour ago, who is still orange and white.

Larvae

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots 0YsT4tl

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots Cn5tyw6

Pupae

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots KtShytp

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots LV9OhRf

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots HNx5OLB

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots DHcv3ui

Beetles

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots OHeXSfl

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots XUb3waS

Took all these with a Canon Powershot SX120 IS.
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/5/2017, 7:26 pm

A second Beetle has just eclosed a few minutes ago.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots NSh2vAp

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots UtdTJwy

The first one is doing good. It is already darkening.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots TOQcR1g

This pupa seems ready to eclose anytime soon.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots SP0QGR9
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/5/2017, 9:46 pm

Nice to see the stages
Insect rod
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. 2/6/2017, 9:16 am

Cool species and Nice shots as well. How long did the whole process take from pupae to beetle stage?
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/6/2017, 12:56 pm

T.C. wrote:Cool species and Nice shots as well. How long did the whole process take from pupae to beetle stage?

Thanks! I got my first set of pupae around Jan 23, and the first beetle eclosed yesterday. So 13-14 days!
Praxibetelix
Praxibetelix
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPraxibetelix 2/6/2017, 1:42 pm

Those are great shots. Interesting how they pupate with that long grub tail on. These remind me of the wax worms we raised into moths. Very cool. This is what @Loops should do to show his son metamorphosis.
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/6/2017, 2:07 pm

Praxibetelix wrote:Those are great shots. Interesting how they pupate with that long grub tail on. These remind me of the wax worms we raised into moths. Very cool. This is what @Loops should do to show his son metamorphosis.

Thanks! Sometimes if you are not careful picking up a pupa or larva, those end spines actually can hurt just a little.

Last edited by Nathant on 2/7/2017, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/6/2017, 2:11 pm

Came home from school today to find 1 new pupa and 3 new beetles! The first two are now completely brown in color. Pics coming soon.
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/6/2017, 3:15 pm

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots Ma7gVWf

^This pic is like one of those school posters where the lonely kid sits far from the other kids. Lol.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots Ed1EZQm

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots GVPxJaA

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots TgX612D

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots HS9dshG
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 2/6/2017, 6:50 pm

Did you buy these guys or capture them outdoors?
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/7/2017, 5:40 am

T.C. wrote:Did you buy these guys or capture them outdoors?

Bought them live from a tackle store.
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/7/2017, 6:28 pm

I now have 11 beetles. I even witnessed a couple eclosing. Super cool.

I fed skins of this thing called a "Pomelo". My dad eats weird fruits and he gives me the scraps. So anyting with that pink and white background is that. One of the very young beetles nibbled it's little heart out at one.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots LgBxHNX

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots Flegcgc

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots TBabq0I

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots ZKEkFR6

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots SVIArS3

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots F3kq81y

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots WT9G56t
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 2/8/2017, 9:18 am

Cool looking beetles, I will have to see about picking some up here soon. Are you going to be attempting to breed the adults?
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/8/2017, 1:12 pm

T.C. wrote:Cool looking beetles, I will have to see about picking some up here soon. Are you going to be attempting to breed the adults?

Yes. They are very easy to breed. I have each life stage seperate. I will show the setup later.
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/8/2017, 4:28 pm

Very nice demonstration and photos Nathant working with these beetles. I really enjoy your dedication working with this family.
Insect rod
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/8/2017, 4:48 pm

Insect Rod wrote:Very nice demonstration and photos Nathant working with these beetles. I really enjoy your dedication working with this family.
Insect rod

Thank you! That really means a lot. This will be my first ever successful Insect culture if the life cycle is complete, actually. They are super fun to raise and I believe this opens the doors to my insect passion that I've always had in the back of my mind over the years. I will be looking for different beetles if these guys are a success.
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/8/2017, 4:58 pm

And thank you; the study of insects can be a life time event as new ways of understanding them will continue.
Insect rod
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/8/2017, 6:05 pm

The setup for these guys is fairly simple. Note that it was not meant to look natural or simulate their natural habitat, becuase they were... supposed to be feeder, but I think I've gained too much respect from them that I'm not sure how true that is anymore.

The setup consists of 3 large containers and 1 small one. Since you usually buy these guys when they are larvae, the larvae container is what you will use first. It is a 14 by 11 inch Sterilite container that is 3 1/4 inches deep. I fill the container with about 2 inches of raw oats. This will be the primary substrate and food of the larvae. I also make sure there is always some sort of fresh fruits or vegatables on top of the oats for the primary moisture, and a secondary food source. Ive used orange peel, tangerine peel, chopped potatoes, sliced apples, iceburg lettuce, broccoli stems, Pomelo skins and more and they worked fine. I was a little iffy about the citric fruit at first (since some insects are repulsed and even die from it) but they seem to do fine with that. I do not have pics of that setup because since there are only 4 larvae left, I put them in a smaller container so I don't have to waist so many oats. Here is the container empty (I also use these containers for the beetle and egg/small larvae setups):

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots SxPqX7l

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots WmzPRcX

The lid is just a snap and close. It closes loosely, which promotes decent air flow.

The setup I have them in right now is just a small RubberMaid tupperware container with an oat substrate and fruit/vegatbale water source, just like the other setup. I will use this setup when the larva population decreases for whatever reason.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots RbHlzkI

The lid closes very tightly, so I make sure it is proped open a little. A piece of Pomelo is in the setup.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots NMey8Jl

No we move on to the pupa setup. Every couple days, I dig through the larva setup to find new pupae. I move them gently to a small plastic container. I think it was a restaurant take-home container that I saved. There is about an inch of oat substrate and fruits/vegetables. I probably don't need any of that but hey, it's a free world. The water source present in that picture is a piece of pomelo.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots QfUfX1x

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots NOWvPU5

Now here is the beetle setup. When I find a beetle in the pupa setup, I gently place it here. It is one of the Sterilite containers I explained, except the substrate is a mix of oats and wood shavings. I notice the beetles have trouble digging in the heavy oats, so that's why I added the light wood shavings. The bottom of the container is also cut out and replaced with mesh. The beetle container is actually sitting on top of a topless Sterilite container. So when the beetles mate, the eggs and/or very small and young larvae drop down into the container below the beetle setup.

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots CbHpuCg

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots U7PxQ1O

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots MnKXbqO

A shot of underneath the beetle container.

Inside the beetle container is also a LOT of Pomelo skins (even more right now than in the picture). The skins are bowl-like, and the beetles love going inside it and nibble on it. Gives decent moisture, too.

Here is the young larva/egg setup. Nothing much here. Just a very thin substrate of oats and small wood particles that fell through the mesh. When larvae get big, I move them to the larva setup. Nothing inhabits this setup just yet, but I hope it will be crawlng with life soon!

Tenebrio molitar Macro Shots G7YZIXx

I now have 13 beetles, and one pupa is just about to eclose. After that, I don't think I'll be getting any more beetles for a while because none of the other pupae look too mature yet.
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/9/2017, 7:51 am

Another beetle has eclosed. I'm not expecting any more for a while since the other pupae seem young, but there are still about a good 25 pupae.
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 2/9/2017, 10:21 am

How is humidity working in that? I know beetles, (depending on the species) don't require too much humidity. However it seems a little dry. I keep my habitats fairly moist though? Maybe the pictures are just deceiving and it looks dry. Either way it appears it's working for them. I like your screen idea. I have never done that before. Probably because I am afraid of the mess it may cause. Very Happy
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/9/2017, 10:36 am

T.C. wrote:How is humidity working in that? I know beetles, (depending on the species) don't require too much humidity. However it seems a little dry. I keep my habitats fairly moist though? Maybe the pictures are just deceiving and it looks dry. Either way it appears it's working for them. I like your screen idea. I have never done that before. Probably because I am afraid of the mess it may cause. Very Happy

The oats are generally very dry, but they seem content becuase I'm sure they would be all over the fruit if they were not getting enough moisture. The oats mold very badly if you even get them the smallest bit wet. I had to clean out the larva setup a few days ago becuase it was molding. I think the apples made the air too humid or something. I'm considering switching to mealworm bedding which provides moisture itself.
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 2/10/2017, 9:40 am

Well it appears to be working for these guys. All the pupae are on top of the oats as well. I am not sure if this is common in this species? However the species I kept, the pupae bury themselves a little bit. Did you move them to the top or is that where they put themselves?
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/10/2017, 12:54 pm

T.C. wrote:Well it appears to be working for these guys. All the pupae are on top of the oats as well. I am not sure if this is common in this species? However the species I kept, the pupae bury themselves a little bit. Did you move them to the top or is that where they put themselves?

I put them there, however I find the pupa both on the surface and under the oats. I think I find them on the surface because when I am searching for pupae, The dormant larvae ready to pupate get knocked to the top. Could still be both though.
Nathant
Nathant
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostNathant 2/11/2017, 12:20 pm

I surprisingly experienced 3 more pupae eclose. However, one eclosed very poorly. It's wings are missing, it's head is black, and the pupa exoskeleton is still hanging off of it's thorax. It cannot move well and only scrambles it's legs around. I might have to put him/her out of it's misery but I am still waiting.

After fiddling around with my camera, I practiced some video taking and it went ok. Here is a newly eclosed beetle:

T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator

PostT.C. 2/12/2017, 12:04 pm

Cool video. Smile I was actually at a bait shop yesterday and decided why i was there to look for these guys. Currently they don't have any I guess. They said they wouldn't have any until spring. Sad
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum