Insect containers??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/18/2017, 4:30 pm

I study insects but I do not keep them or raise them over the months or years, but I may be interested in the containers to try a few beetles at some point in time.
Some plastic containers smell like plastic toxins, and sealed up this would be elevated even with air holes, so which containers do you use? Going past the container size, i`m interested in the chemical make up of the container and what is reliable.
Insect rod
T.C.
T.C.
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.insectboards.com

PostT.C. 2/18/2017, 6:28 pm

I personally like fancy and clear with good visiblity. However if you are just looking for a safe container to put them in then I would go with the kitchen containers used for cereals and such. Or are you looking for something that you could observe without having to take the lid off?
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/18/2017, 7:21 pm

I was thinking about safe and clear but I can live without being really clear. Looks like the food containers would be a good option.
So to raise a few bess beetle larvae, which containers would be a better choice. We usually have plenty of bess beetles so I will try a few of those and then try another species when I get them. I will not be raising any small beetles at this time.
Insect rod
Salmon
Salmon

PostSalmon 2/18/2017, 9:44 pm

Thoroughly washing most containers with hot water should get rid of plastic odors. Anything that's meant for food storage is definitely safe.
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/18/2017, 10:36 pm

Ok thanks, I will take a look (study) at some of the log term containers I may be able to purchase locally.
Insect rod
mothman27
mothman27
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 2/20/2017, 10:51 am

I use Tupperware and similar brands. I also use anything from food that is gone (cottage cheese, milk jugs, etc.) You can hot glue and make whatever type you want. You can also get cheap ones from Walmart that work fine. I would be cautious if they smell odd.
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 2/20/2017, 4:56 pm

Good idea mothman just to use food type containers, I have no doubt that some plastic containers are not fit for raising insects and may cause them not to raise and perhaps a very early death. I think the right containers are EXTREMELY important.
Insect rod
Canadian anter
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostCanadian anter 2/22/2017, 12:04 pm

go to the container shop and check the amac boxes
Praxibetelix
Praxibetelix
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPraxibetelix 3/1/2017, 11:17 pm

You could always use glass. I'm currently saving plain glass gars with screw top lids. Pickles, sauces, and olives come in nice plain glass jars.

Hobby lobby has an interesting variety of glass containers. Some with canister type closing lids, these seal and are also made of glass so not ideal. They also carry some with cork-stopper lids.

I like using a fine tulle with an elastic band to hold it on to the jar. This arrangement worked well for our wax worms/wax moths.

On a side note, our desert beetle enclosure is a 5 gallon fish tank with no lid at all.
Canadian anter
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostCanadian anter 3/2/2017, 7:19 am

mothman27
mothman27

Postmothman27 3/24/2017, 12:40 pm

Praxibetelix wrote:You could always use glass. I'm currently saving plain glass gars with screw top lids. Pickles, sauces, and olives come in nice plain glass jars.

Hobby lobby has an interesting variety of glass containers. Some with canister type closing lids, these seal and are also made of glass so not ideal. They also carry some with cork-stopper lids.

I like using a fine tulle with an elastic band to hold it on to the jar.  This arrangement worked well for our wax worms/wax moths.

On a side note, our desert beetle enclosure is a 5 gallon fish tank with no lid at all.

Also a great suggestion, we have tons of extra canning jars that I used for raising cecropia and polyphemus. The silk from the cocoons comes off with an abrasive material. You have to either get largemouth jars or have small hands to be able to get the cocoons out though. I have found some plastic does not allow silk to stick and the caterpillar will have trouble making a cocoon.
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 3/24/2017, 9:28 pm

Just thinking about it, I have a very large pickle jar that I kept, must be about 3 gallons or so. Years ago you could find these wide lid jars around. I actually raised several bull frog tad poles in this jar and watched their development over several wee
Small particles of dried cat food was used to feed them and that really worked out good along with some algae development which is also eaten
Fresh clean water is also very important.
Insect rod
Insect Rod
Insect Rod
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostInsect Rod 3/24/2017, 9:48 pm

As a side note, when I say fresh clean water, many invertebrates require a non chlorine water substitute. Chlorine water is, can be a killer for many forms of aquatic life, insects as well.
Insect rod
mothman27
mothman27

Postmothman27 3/25/2017, 10:12 am

I actually used a very large jar, probably about the same size for raising cecropia. There were probably 15 cocoons in there.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum