Moth sizes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FriendStein
Stranger
Stranger

PostFriendStein 3/30/2017, 3:54 am

I've seen quite a lot in my time. But I have actually seen one that is bigger then my hand. And let me tel you I have pretty big hands.
I saw a moth probably 3 feet feet across and maybe 4 inches wide. Is it me or are moths evolving and just getting bigger?
Salmon
Salmon

PostSalmon 3/30/2017, 6:35 am

I find it quite, um, doubtful to say the least that you saw a moth that's 3 feet across, unless that's a typo. (A moth that's 3 feet across but only 4 inches wide sounds like it has very strange proportions.)

The biggest moths in the world (found in Australia, South America and Southeast Asia) are all around 1 foot across. If you live in North America the biggest moths you'll likely see (H. cecropia, C. regalis and A. polyphemus) don't get much bigger than 6 inches across.
mothman27
mothman27
http://www.ebay.com/usr/loefflerlepidoptera

Postmothman27 3/30/2017, 6:54 am

True, the largest wingspan EVER recorded was a 12inch White Witch moth(Thysania agrippina), they are typically not that large. The atlas (Attacus atlas) has the largest wing area except for a very large specimen of the Herculese moth that may be larger.
Yes the largest you would see here would be cecropia, regal, imperial and if you were especially lucky the largest native noctuid, the Black Witch moth(ascolapha adorata). Maybe if you count how long the tails on luna moths are you would get 6 inches?

Personaly, I think female E. imperialis can get as large as cecropias.

Last edited by mothman27 on 12/12/2017, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Salmon
Salmon

PostSalmon 3/30/2017, 8:49 am

I've caught a luna moth that was 5.5 inches across. (Looking back, I probably should've kept the specimen.) So I don't think it's inconceivable that lunas rivaling typically larger species could exist.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum